Legal aid is regarded as central in providing access to justice by ensuring equality before the law, the right to counsel and the right to a fair trial. CATCH provides free legal aid to all children in order to ensure that their rights are promoted, protected and upheld. The CATCH legal aid model includes the provision of legal assistance, legal representation through referrals to partners and outsourcing, legal advice, legal education and litigation (court processes).
Legal Aid Services and Activities
- court monitoring,
- court processes – maintenance orders, protection orders, fine payments, bail payments
- case follow ups at police and court level
- case conferencing with prosecutors, lawyers, magistrates and judges
- legal advice
- Pre- and post-trial counselling.
- Referrals for legal representation
- Drafting defense outlines
- Facilitating Age estimation and birth registration
- Child rights clinics